Wednesday, August 3, 2011

It has been a hot one

This summer has been incredibly hot and it has been one sweaty, steamy, muggy day after another. All of the rain and heat has been wonderful for the plants and my yard is gorgeous. It means a lot of work outside though, and it has been hard to keep up. Last year B finished screening in our back porch, and we have spent many a morning eating breakfast there and lounging in the early coolness. I gave the front porch a badly-needed fresh coat of paint in July, and so we spend many evenings ther trying to catch a breeze and watching the lightning bugs in the field across the street. We do not have air conditioning, so the porches have been quite a refuge for us.
Photobucket

Despite the heat I have thoroughly enjoyed the summer days with my children, and B and I made the decision that I would not be returning to work in August. This makes me incredibly happy, but it is a fleeting happiness because financially we do need to have some additional income. The past two years of me working evenings part time have been very stressful on the family and on myself and we just needed a break. I am so much healthier and happier and I will enjoy every minute of this year "off".

B and I have been married for nearly 14 years now, and it is amazing to me the way a marriage can continue to grow and also continue to surprise. This summer has been one of extreme growth in our marriage, brought about by some extremely serious situations. Working through change has always been challenging for us, but we have been able to work together and I am very hopeful and prayerful about the years ahead.

Keeping the home fires buring, even through the heat of summer is my source of contentment and happiness. I can hear the windchimes on the front porch calling my name right now.
Photobucket

No comments: