Wednesday, April 23, 2008

crossing my fingers for my feet

I am ecstatic. I have transitioned fully into morning running, and my feet don't hurt!!!
I did it right this year. I have been getting up early enough so I have enough time to walk around and stretch for at least a half an hour before hand, and I haven't gone all crazy and upped my mileage just because it's spring-
It has been two full weeks and I haven't had a single twinge in my feet, this is unreal to me. I really want to hold onto this, so I am formulating a gentle plan for upping my mileage.
Right now I run 4 miles every other day. Normally I would add an extra day to the mix, but that would bring me from 16 to 20 miles or 12 to 16 miles a week. I know my feet would pay for that kind of rapid upswing. I think what I am going to do is continue with the every other day routine, but increase one of my days by just 1 mile. So I will just tack an extra mile onto one of my runs. I'll do that for 2 weeks, and if I am pain-free I will add another mile after those 2 weeks. Hopefully this will be a way for me to add the miles without the pain.
By my calculations I will be at 32 miles a week by August-enough for me to decide whether or not to make the big marathon committment-
We'll see. I have learned that conservative is best in the long run (no pun intended there folks!)

No comments: