Monday, April 14, 2008

Dearest Marjorie 1915-2008

I learned yesterday that my dear Grandmother, Marjorie, had passed on. I was saddened, but also joyous, because she wanted to leave this world and was trapped in a broken body that she no longer felt connected to. Grandma S. was my last Grandparent alive, and also the oldest at 93. She was very special to me, and she influenced me in ways that I hope I was able to communicate with her while she was alive.
Grandma S. was a math and home economics teacher. She met my Grandfather while he was in the army and married him right before he left to fight in WWII. That first time he was gone for 2 years. During the war he came home in stints, but was never home for long, and thoughout his time during the war he earned several purple hearts and other medals of recognition which he, and my Grandmother were very proud of. They had 3 children, the middle child was my dad.
Grandma was the best cook ever!!! Every dinner at her house was something everyone looked forward to. She was an excellent seamstress, and would often make clothes for me and matching doll clothes for my dolls. She devoted herself to her family in every way, and she was a strong woman. She showed us love, but also had a firm hand, and she was not a cryer (unlike my Grandma M. who cried over every little sentiment!). I think that she learned how to be stoic from the years she had to spend alone while Grandpa was fighting overseas. I admired her committment to her family and her unending kindness to others. She has a special place in my heart, always.
I love you Grandma!

No comments: